Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Exhibition Struggles and Design Wall Weekend #6

This is being a tough month.  It's not like I didn't expect it... but here I am in the midst of it and I'm feeling a little in overwhelm.

First, as most of you know, I'm share the head of exhibitions for the Contemporary QuiltArt Association and we have our "Salsa!" exhibit opening Memorial day weekend.  Our jury met on April 28 at my home... you'd think that once the pieces were picked out, it should be smooth sailing, right?  Wrong.

One of the wonderful things about the venue we're going to be in, the Mighty Tieton Warehouse Gallery, is that they're going to print a catalog of the exhibit. So, as soon as I know the juror selections, I needed to get the photos of accepted pieces to their printer, which meant I had to download 114 photos (a full and detail shot of each piece) from the place where the artists had submitted them.  However, I soon found out that not every artist had sent high-resolution photos.  This meant I had to contact those artists who had sent low-res photos and help them get high resolution ones to me.  I even ended up taking photos for one artist!

Once the photos were sent over, I had to start working on compiling all the information for the catalog... artist's statements, sizes of artwork, materials and techniques used, photographer, price of piece, year completed, as well as artist and title of the piece.  We have 57 pieces in the show, so that's quite a bit of info to put together.

On Saturday, we pick up the pieces at our CQA meeting.  We're working on figuring out a way to best hang the works... the gallery has a wire hanging system.  At this point, we're planning on using a heavy-duty fishing line to attach the quilts and art cloth from the wire.  However, we will need to tie the fishing line onto all the hanging sticks and haven't fully worked out how we will adjust the length of the fishing line to make sure each piece is at the right level and even.  My husband and I have even gone to a couple hardware stores to try and see if there was some sort of hardware that we could put the line through and pull it and it would catch and not slip.  At this point, it looks like we're going to just be adjusting it by hand and tying it off.

On the 20th, we head over to Tieton (about a 2 and a half hour drive) to hang the show.  I'm not sure how long it will take considering the tying aspect.  Then our Opening will be on Saturday the 25th, so another long drive that day (I may stay overnight for that one since it goes from 12-5 and there is an artist celebratory dinner afterwards!)

Oh, did I forget to mention that my two-year long program at the Gail Harker Center for the Creative Arts starts this month too?  I will be going up to La Conner from May 14-19 for my first class. We'll be meeting approximately every three months and have a good deal of homework in between each session.  However, as you can see from the photos here, Gail's student's create some amazing fiber artwork!

All this said, I've decided to back off of my initial goal this year to create a 5 x 7 piece each week.  I'm a little disappointed, but I am working on my artwork daily, so I suppose that's the real goal.  Since I'll be staying up at our cabin on Whidbey Island next week while I go to classes in La Conner, I plan to bring my freemotion quilting sampler quilt that I'm working on for Leah Day's Craftsy class to work on in the evening.  Having six days away from my husband and kids to just work on my art will be a real vacation!

Speaking of Leah's Craftsy class, she has just released "Freemotion Fillers Volume 2."  In celebration, if you go to her blog, you can click a link to get 50% off any of her three Craftsy classes (click here to get the page with the 50% off)!

OK, let's get going with Design Wall Weekend:

Design Wall Weekend #6 -- What do You Have on Your Design Wall?

What kind of blogs should link up?

I think that it's best to have content that matches the content and interests served with the blog that's hosting the party, so please only link up if your blog post is about any of the following:
  • Quilting and fabrics 
  • Fiber art of any kind
  • Hand & machine stitch or embroidery
  • Mixed media art
  • Book-making, art journals, and sketchbooks
  • Tutorials for any quilting, fiber, mixed media, sketchbook and other arts
  • These can be works in progress or finishes
Anna's hummingbird from my sketchbook - Acryllic paint, watercolor pencil, silver ink

Rules for the blog linking party

  • Mention Fiber Artist Journey in your post, either with a link or button-use the direct link to the specific post - not just your main blog website (this helps with your search engine position.)   If you have buttons on your sidebar that works great, please just at least mention something in your post, for example "I'm linking to Fiber Artist Journey, see my sidebar for their button."  If you need help on how to add your link, read this.
  • Please take the time to visit other links, everyone loves new visitors and comments!  Try to comment on at least two other blogs in the party.
If you would like to add a button to your blog you can copy the code which is below my buttons and add it as a gadget on the layout page of your blog. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.






Other Great Blogs to Link Up with and Check Out!

Nina Marie Sayre's Art Quilt Blog

Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Balzar Designs - Art Journal Every Day

Richard and Tanya Quilts

Quilt Matters

Sew Many Ways

12 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of the quilts (images you posted) Thank you for sharing part of this exciting event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use ties for holding wires together for our show. It makes it easier to adjust both side easily and there's no tying. Good luck with your show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I did for my current hanging is to us a hanging sleeve that accomodates a yardstick. Once the yardstick, which is soft wood, is cut to size I use a small drill to pu holes in the ends where the fishing twine is tied. I put two brass thumb tacks about five inches apart in the middle of the hanging sleeve into the wood. The twine is wrapped on the shaft of the tack to take up slack or make adjustments.

    It has worked well with tw different hanging systems, the one right now is the wire museum system.

    It is a lot of work what you are doing!!! Good lunch it will be spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pieces you've showcased today are magnificent! I feel your pain getting ready for the show. What a massive amount of work involved. It will all be so worth it in the end though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. waw! it was not long ago i discovered art quilts an im often amazed at their beauty. i love the texture on the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of all - I got tired just reading what you're doing - grin!! Good luck with your class - it sounds very exciting - Also - I know that unless you get a show together you never really know the work and worry that goes into them. I'm sure it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pieces! It's going to be a fabulous show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I found you again. I haven't been reading most of my blogs lately because of health issues, so I'm so glad you linked up with Whoop Whoop this week since I did too.

    The various art pieces you've put on this blog are so beautiful. They make me want to get out all my fibers and play, but I've got multiple new projects in process, so that would not be a great idea.

    I understand how hard it is to pull back from a goal when you realize you just can't do it. But you are right. What you really wanted was to work on your art on a regular basis. It was he core goal. And you are doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like hard work but these quilts are stunning. I especially love the detail pictures of radiant allum and Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just finding your blog and design wall weekend project. I know, arranging quilts for a show and hanging them is so much work. But, it looks like you have some amazing pieces to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been a very busy lady!! But I agree, the quilts are stunning!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. waw! I am just finding your blog and design wall weekend project. I love the texture on the pieces. Exhibition designers..

    ReplyDelete