Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Color Explorations & DWW #7

Welcome to Design Wall Weekend!   If you have a blog relating to quilting, fiber art, or related topics, please check out our rules and post your link below!

Photo of a gerber daisy I took today.
Today's been very exciting for me... I'm spending my birthday realizing a goal of mine- to be in the ongoing, long-term coursework at the Gail Harker Center for the Creative Arts.  I started in "Studies in Design, Experimental Machine and Hand Stitch Level 200" yesterday.

We mainly have been working on color theory and dyeing the last two days.  The photo above is a great example of color.  You probably know and can see how the complementary colors of blue and orange make this photo extremely vibrant.  But the photo also works well because it has red-orange, yellow-orange, yellow, and yellow green.  The spectrum of the color wheel from yellow-green through to red-orange are all included, which are analogous colors.  Also, the blue, red-orange, and yellow-orange combine to make a split-complementary theme.  Now, if the colors were all in the same proportionate amount, it wouldn't be nearly as effective.  but the dashes of yellow-green and red-orange really help the photo POP!
A few of my embroidery threads and yarns that I'm hand-dyeing.  The dye is wet on the thread here and will look different once it has been rinsed out.

Beyond playing with dyes on paper and practicing color schemes, we started hand-dying our thread today.  I played around with variegating between colors, from dark to light in one color, and with using a split-complementary color scheme on the thread.  
Some of my notes and a color study of creating neutrals from
complementary colors (Red-Orange and Blue-Green)
Tomorrow we will get started on dyeing our fabric and hopefully get to stitching.  I have three more wonderful days of this session... then it's home and off to set up the Tieton, WA "Salsa!" exhibition, which will be opening Memorial Day weekend.  I'm pretty confident that I'll be freemotion quilting as soon as I get through my show opening!

Design Wall Weekend #7 -- What do You Have on Your Design Wall?

What kind of blogs should link up?

I think that it's best to have content that matches the content and interests served with the blog that's hosting the party, so please only link up if your blog post is about any of the following:
  • Quilting and fabrics 
  • Fiber art of any kind
  • Hand & machine stitch or embroidery
  • Mixed media art
  • Book-making, art journals, and sketchbooks
  • Tutorials for any quilting, fiber, mixed media, sketchbook and other arts
  • These can be works in progress or finishes

From my sketchbook- Creating shades by adding black to a pure color (orange) and mixing a triad of
Yellow-Green, Yellow-Orange, and Violet

Rules for the blog linking party

  • Mention Fiber Artist Journey in your post, either with a link or button-use the direct link to the specific post - not just your main blog website (this helps with your search engine position.)   If you have buttons on your sidebar that works great, please just at least mention something in your post, for example "I'm linking to Fiber Artist Journey, see my sidebar for their button."  If you need help on how to add your link, read this.
  • Please take the time to visit other links, everyone loves new visitors and comments!  Try to comment on at least two other blogs in the party.
If you would like to add a button to your blog you can copy the code which is below my buttons and add it as a gadget on the layout page of your blog. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.


Other Great Blogs to Link Up with and Check Out!

Leah Day's Freemotion Quilting Project

Nina Marie Sayre's Art Quilt Blog

Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Balzar Designs - Art Journal Every Day

Richard and Tanya Quilts

Quilt Matters

Sew Many Ways

7 comments:

  1. What a cool week you're having! I might be just a little bit jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Your course sounds fascinating. Thank you sharing the colour description of the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great inspiration photo! I can see you making a quilt of it

    ReplyDelete
  4. That class sounds pretty wonderful. I've taken a couple of Craftsy classes on color and I tend to just fall asleep. I really don't want to do dyeing but your threads make me jealous. I bet they turn out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the coolest thread/fibre I've ever seen. I want to wear it as a necklace!!! have a great week. You sound busy. Lovies, Samara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really looking forward to following your blog. I am new to Quilt/Fiber Art and have just recently finished my first piece called "Sunflower Delight". I am also new to blogging so I have several learning curves to work on including FMQ. You are probably really busy but I would invite you to take a peek at my first try, http://annsplace-dahlitsa.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's really great that you're learning colorists. I think it is needed thing for every person that works with different arts.

    ReplyDelete