Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hand Stitch Variations

I've been continuing to explore hand-stitch this last week and completed another sampler.  I'm not really sure where I'm going to be using this in my work this year, I'm just certain that I am.  I've seen so many spectacular pieces that were enhanced by using hand-stitch.   I've also noticed that show judges seem to appreciate the extra effort that an artist has put in, when there are hand-stitch elements.  Here are the stitches (on acrylic felt- not hooped):

Top row:

  1. Double Knot Stitch (aka Old English knot, Palestrina or Smyrna Stitch)
  2. Cable Chain Stitch.  This is like chain stitch, but with a link in between the chains
  3. Fern Stitch (aka Fern Leaf Stitch)
  4. Paris Stitch (aka Open Square Stitch)
  5. Fence Stitch (aka Bosnian Stitch)
  6. Tnorn Stitch
  7. Cross Stitch (aka Berlin or Sampler Stitch)
  8. Braid Stitch
  9. Singalese Chain
  10. Wheatear Stitch
  11. Fishbone Stitch (on leaves)

Bottom row:
  1. Whipped Backstitch
  2. Threaded Backstitch
  3. Double Threaded Backstitch
  4. Chain Stitch with Backstitch running through center
  5. Double Knot Stitch
  6. Petal Stitch
  7. Scroll Stitch
  8. Ladder Stitch
  9. Long Armed Cross Stitch
  10. Vandyck Stitch (aka Flat Variable Stitch)
  11. Long & Short Stitch (top leaf in oranges)
  12. Stem Filling Stitch (bottom leaf in blues)

I'm partially doing this work as I'm taking another hand-stitch course at the Gail Harker Center for Creative Arts in March.  I'm looking forward to getting more ideas in how to incorporate the hand stitches into my work.

Speaking of Gail's classes, this Thursday, Jan 10 from 5-8 pm, the opening of "Complex Threads: Students of Gail Harker Center for Creative Arts" will be happening at the Schack Art Center in Everett WA.  If in the area, be sure to check it out!

You might also be interested in:
How to make a knotted blanket stitch (video)
More embroidery samples
Stitchwork Samplers

1 comment:

  1. I so love handwork, it's like meditation - very relaxing. I wish I had the time to do more. Nothing like curling up on the couch with some sewing and listening to an audio book or........
    Nothing.

    ReplyDelete