Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Curved Piecing Tutorial - Waterfall Quilt

Last week I promised to get back to my UFO "Waterfall Quilt."  Well, I've made some progress with it:
Waterfall Quilt last week
Waterfall Quilt this week


















One of the waterfall squares with
curved piecing
As you can see, I've added a couple rows (and I obviously need to get a larger design wall that my pieces can stick to!)  More importantly, I think, is that I removed pieces that I felt didn't really work, either due to the patterning of the material, or more likely, the color flow wasn't right.  Actually, now that I look at the photograph, I see a few other pieces that I'll probably switch out, since they don't have quite the right value. I call this my waterfall quilt as I wanted the curved pieces to make it feel like water trickling down, as well as the blues and greens to represent the water and surrounding forest.

I thought you might like to find out how I do the curved inserts which I'm working on adding to all the blocks. Believe it or not, it's a fairly simple process.  Certainly simpler than doing the video... so please excuse me if my videography needs a little perfecting!



For other interesting blogs and tutorials:

Check out how other quilters are finishing up their UFO's on Leah Day's Freemotion Quilting Project

Carol's portrait of Max, a yellow lab shows a great progression for doing a pictorial quilt.

You might also be interested in:

Fresh Poppy Design
Week 2 of the 5 x 7 
Artist Challenge
Fireworks Freemotion 
Quilting Design
How to Make a 
Knotted Blanket Stitch
Quilt Story's Block 
Tutorial Links








4 comments:

  1. I just did a few test blocks. That was fun! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great... I'd love to see them. Let me know if you put them up on your blog.

      Delete
  2. I think the color flow is mostly amazing, but I'll agree that you can really see the piece differently in a photograph. I'm working on something where that might be important. At this point I don't have a design wall, so I'm hoping the photo trick will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wandered in from Freemotion by the River and am stopping to say, thanks for sharing. I am now a follower so I can find my way back to see more of your quilting goodness ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete